Our next meeting will be April 16th.
Spring is around the corner and to celebrate we made little window boxes to fill with flowers. We used some of the flowers we had made during our February meeting and Pot Luck. Many of us only had time to make the boxes and paint them before taking them home to fill with the flowers. Phyllis showed us a technique used to "paint" flowers using washable markers and a wet sponge. The effect this creates is quite stunning. I took my three boxes home and tried my hand at creating flowers and leaves. I tried Phyllis' technique on some leaves I wanted in my box. For the dirt we used brown modelling clay which is an excellent medium for holding the flower spikes in place. Here is one of my boxes completed.
We are now gearing up for the Mini show in May and putting the finishing touches on our "Seasons" displays. May will be here before we know it and we look forward to seeing everyone at the show. Check out the Annual Show page for details and a sneak peak at the vendors coming.
Our next meeting will be April 16th.
Good morning, my name is Yvette and today I am starting up the blog entries again and hope to continue to keep it up to date. The OMEGA group continues to meet on the 3rd Monday of most months except July and August. We continue to create fun items in miniature of varying scales. A few new members have joined and we always welcome people who wish to learn more about minis. This past month, we were not able to meet at the church due to prior commitments of the church so one member kindly offered to have the meeting at her house. We had a wonderful day of fun and laughter complete with a Pot Luck lunch. We had a great time working on creating miniature plants along with admiring plants some members had made previously. Here are a few pictures of the day:
Our 32nd Annual Show was May 3. It was a great Show. We started set up at 7:00am and cleared out of the hall by 4:00. We had a good variety of vendors, it was too easy to spend my miniature allowance, the hard part was deciding what I really wanted and what I needed the most. The displays were awesome, our County Fair drew a lot of attention. our workshops went well and were interesting. The kids that attended had fun making treats. There was a toy making demonstration and how to make flowers. It was good to talk to fellow miniaturists I hadn't seen in a while. All in all it was a good day.
We had a lot of fun at our meeting Tuesday. The making of pies is not as simple as it seems, but there was a lot of laughter and members helping each other. Marg had a pasta machine so we didn't have to roll out our pie crust and she had things really well organized, The hard part was deciding what kind of pie to make. Surprisingly the pies turned out really well with a good variety.
Well, a month has gone by fast. I went to the Brampton Bazaar last Saturday and had a great day. A giant indoor miniature garage sale! There was all kinds of items including dollhouses and room boxes as well as a large variety of miniatures. I spent my whole miniature allowance ( I must set limits or my husband will divorce me, lol).
There was a table devoted to June Simpson's items, lovely room boxes, tools, items to create with, and items she has created.June was one of the first in our area to become IGMA ( International Guild of Miniature Artisans, promoting miniatures as an art form).
There will be a table of June's items at our Annual May Show & Sale.
At our Club meeting May 21, Marg will be showing us how to make clay pies. Our "County Fair" display. . will have a table to judge the pies. If mine turn out like my real pies, I won't be a winner, but since I will go home with a cute pie, I'm not a loser either:)
My latest lesson involves resin. Did you know when you work with paper and resin, you must first seal the paper, I did not.
I mixed my resin, put it in my little cup and watched it leak all over the place. Good thing I had it on a plastic lid. Next I thought oh well, this will slow down in a few minutes, nope not a few minutes nor a lot of minutes. The leaking went on till it was empty a couple of hours later. Well my cup got a sealer coat. just not the way it should have been done. After letting the cup dry a bit I put a second filling of resin in. It turned out okay, just took a lot longer then I expected.
Lesson learned, seal all seams and the interior of paper cups before putting resin in them.
My little cups now look great in my concession stand which I am making as part of our Club display for our May Show.
I am totally new to this, no experience writing a blog, so please bear with me. It won't be on a daily basis but I'll do the best I can.
Our Club's next meeting is March 17th (happy St. Patrick's day, don't forget to wear your green). We will be learning how to flock plastic animals to give them a more realistic look. Should be a little messy but fun:)